Associate of Arts in Performance
MUSIC INDUSTRY STUDIES PERFORMANCE (N) NAA645/NAA645B/NAA645C/NCE645
The Music Industry Studies Performance Certificate is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary for studio recording and live performance in the commercial music industry. Courses allow students to become proficient on an instrument or voice, gain experience as an ensemble member, study the fundamentals of music including sight-reading and piano skills, become familiar with digital and analog music technology, and record and mix in a state-of-the-art multitrack digital recording studio. Classes are taught utilizing industry standard software and equipment in state-of-the-art facilities. The program prepares students for a variety of careers as instrumentalists and vocalists in studio and/or live performance settings.
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of musicianship and music theory.
- Employ music technology to create and refine musical product.
- Sensitively interpret and communicate musical literature as a performer or studio musician.
- Collaborate effectively with peers to create new musical works exhibiting quality and craftsmanship.
- Demonstrate a fundamental understanding of intellectual property law as it applies to music.
Required Courses (33-35 units):
- MIS-1A Studio Techniques (2 units)
- MIS-1B Studio Techniques (2 units)
- MIS-1C Studio Techniques (2 units)
- MUS-3 Fundamentals (4 units)
- MUS-93 Business of Music (3 units)
AND 10-12 units of Applied Music (4 semesters of study):
- MUS-38 Beginning Applied Music (2 units)
- MUS-78 Beginning Applied Music II (2 units)
- MUS-39 Intermediate Applied Music (3 units)
- MUS-79 Intermediate Applied Music II (3 units)
- MUS-39 Intermediate Applied Music (3 units, 2x)
- MUS-79 Intermediate Applied Music II (3 units, 2x)
AND 8 units from the following:
- MUS-41 – Chamber Singers (2x) (this replaces MIS-10A)
- MUS-81 – Consort Singers (2x) (this replaces MIS-10B)
- MIS-11A – Studio Arts Ensemble (2x)
- MIS-11B – Studio Arts Ensemble (2x)
AND 2-4 units from the following Elective Courses:
- MIS-7 – Intro to Music Technology (3 units)
- MUS-4 – Music Theory (4 units)
- MUS-23 – History of Rock and Roll (3 units)
- MUS-32A – Class Piano (1 unit)
- MUS-32B – Class Piano (1 unit)
- MUS-32C – Class Piano (1 unit)
Total Units: 33-37
The Associate of Arts Degree in Music Industry Studies: Performance will be awarded upon completion of the degree requirements, including general education and other graduation requirements as described in the college catalog.