Associate of Arts in Audio Production
MUSIC INDUSTRY STUDIES AUDIO PRODUCTION (N) NAS684/NAS684B/NAS684C/NCE684
The Music Industry Studies certificate in Audio Production is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary for producing popular music, and engineering in the recording studio as well as for live sound. Courses allow students to become proficient on a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), gain experience recording and producing music on digital and analog devices, and record and mix in a state-of-the-art multi-track digital recording studio. Classes are taught utilizing industry-standard software and equipment in state-of-the-art facilities. The program prepares students for a wide variety of careers as music producers or audio engineers in studio and/or live performance settings.
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of musicianship and music theory.
- Employ music technology to create and refine musical product.
- Sensitively enhance multitrack recordings and live performances as a mixing engineer.
- Collaborate effectively with peers to create new musical works that exhibit quality and craftsmanship.
- Demonstrate a fundamental understanding of intellectual property law as it applies to music.
Required Courses (32 units):
- MIS-1A Studio Techniques (2 units)
- MIS-1B Studio Techniques (2 units)
- MIS-1C Studio Techniques (2 units)
- MIS-2 Songwriting (2 units)
- MIS-3 Digital Audio Production 1 (4 units)
- MIS-4 Digital Audio Production 2 (4 units)
- MIS-7 Intro to Music Technology (3 units)
- MIS-12 Live Sound (3 units)
- MIS-13 Studio Recording Workshop (3 units)
- MUS-3 Fundamentals (4 units)
- MUS-93 Business of Music (3 units)
AND 4-6 units from the following Elective Courses:
- MUS-4 Music Theory (4 units)
- MUS-23 History of Rock and Roll (3 units)
- MUS-32A Class Piano (1 unit)
- MUS-32B Class Piano (1 unit)
- MUS-32C Class Piano (1 unit)
- MUS-38 Beginning Applied Music (2 units)
- MUS-39 Applied Music 1 (3 units)
- MIS-200 Work Experience (1-4 units)
Total Units: 36-38
The Associate of Arts Degree in Music Industry Studies: Audio Production will be awarded upon completion of the degree requirements, including general education and other graduation requirements as described in the college catalog.